About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Monday, September 22, 2008

Introducing Project Last Supper

Most home cooks have a plethora of cookbooks. While some may be dog-eared and worn, sadly most go unused. I am horribly guilty of this. My cookbook collection now numbers more than 70 and I'm already eying up new additions. I've noticed other foodie blogs where cooks challenge themselves to cook a whole book or one recipe from each. I've come up with a plan to accomplish both (sort of).

Last Christmas, my boss gave me a cool gift: a copy of Melanie Dunea's My Last Supper. The coffee table-type book features 50 of the world's top chefs and what they want for their last meal on earth. In a moment I may come to regret over the next year, I have decided to cook at least 40 of the 50 between now and next September.

Why? Perhpas I'm a glutton for punishment - these are not easy meals for the most part. More likely I thought it'd be a fun way to make some new meals for me and my husband. I'll also get to know some of my favorite chefs better and even learn about some new ones.

There are some rules to this little game of mine: I've got to try to use recipes by that chef whenever possible. I've got to stay as true to their wishes as possible without breaking the bank (there is a LOT of caviar, truffles and foie gras in their menus). At least once during the project, I'll use foie gras, caviar and real truffles. And, most importantly, I'll post all of my experiences here.
The payoff - yes, there's a payoff - if I complete this by September 2009, my husband and I will go into NYC to the restaurant of one of the chefs! So this weekend, I'm going to start with Suzanna Goin's last supper. Check back early next week to see how it went.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails