About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Monday, November 10, 2008

Chili for a chilly night

It's time for a break from the gourmet. Tonight we are having chili! I use my Mom's recipe, but add a little something extra: grilled fillet! We had guests this weekend and on Friday night we grilled a whole fillet. There's some left, so I'm going to cut it up and throw it into my chili. It adds a great grilled taste to this winter warmer!

Here's the recipe. (I kinda sorta measure things)

Mom's chili
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 or two green peppers cut into 1 inch cubed
  • 1 or two yellow onions chopped
  • 1 28 oz can tomatoes in their juice
  • 4+ Tbsp. Chili powder
  • Garlic powder to taste
  • Crushed red pepper to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • Grilled steak, optional, cut into bite sized pieces
In a pot over medium heat, cook the ground beef, peppers and onions until beef is browned and vegetables are softened. Drain off the fat. Add the tomatoes, breaking them apart as you add them. Stir in the chili powder, crushed red pepper, garlic powder and bay leaf. Simmer about 45 minutes. Stir in the kidney beans and steak if using. Cook to desired consistency. Be sure to taste for salt and pepper. I sometimes add more crushed red pepper or chili powder...

Serve with grated cheddar and crusty bread or cornbread. Jeff loves a grilled cheese with his chili!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails