About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Monday, May 3, 2010

Antipasto Pasta salad

seashell-pasta-salad (8)

I'm sure everyone can think of dishes that remind them of their childhood. This salad is one my mom made when I was young for parties and get togethers of all kinds. We used to have picnics at our house quite often for co-workers of my dad's and this salad frequently made the menu. As a kid, I picked out every last bit of tomato - I'm more tolerant these days. I'd try to get extra olives on my plate, too. I've made it several times for company and I've found that many people elave one thing or another on their plates - but none have ever complained.

It's easy to make, full of flavor and tastes best made a day or two ahead. It doesn't have any mayo like most pasta salads, so it's a bit healthier. Use the list of ingredients as a guide and go from there - add marinated artichokes or mozzarella - the possibilities are endless.

If you do make it a day or two ahead, check the oil and vinegar before serving - it tends to absorb a lot of it so a fresh dash of oil might be needed. Leftovers make a great lunch on the go.

seashell-pasta-salad (3)

Antipasto pasta salad
  • 1 lb. small shell pasta
  • ¼ lb. provolone cubed
  • ¼ lb. Genoa or hard salami cubed
  • ¼ lb. pepperoni cubed
  • 2 green or 1 green and 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
  • 1 small can black olives, sliced
  • ½ cup green olives, halved
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • 3 diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • 1 ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • ½ c. vinegar
  • ¾ c. olive oil

seashell-pasta-salad (1)

Cook pasta according to directions on package. Allow to cool. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Make one day ahead to marinate.

seashell-pasta-salad (6)

6 comments:

Catherine said...

This salad looks beautiful and delicious! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! the salad looks so yummy and filling. AND it can be made a day ahead! What else can one want?

John Dryzga said...

I just ate dinner, but I may have to make this tonight!

Heather said...

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. You have a lovely blog with very nummy-sounding recipes.

Kelly Estes (Hot Cookin') said...

I love pasta salads with no mayo, and yours looks scrumptious! Definitely going in my recipe book!

Anonymous said...

I just made this salad and it looks so delicious. Not sure I can wait till tomorrow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails