About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pappardelle bolognese

bolognese

With summer in full swing, we've been doing a lot of grilling and we're certainly getting our fill of the summer's best fruits and veggies. But last week as I planned our menu, I suddenly thought of pappardelle bolognese. Not exactly a mid-July dinner - more something we'd have after a day on the slopes, but when I mentioned it to my husband, his eyes lit up too. So it was decided. Sunday's dinner would be pappardelle bolognese.

A flip through a few cookbooks or an online search will reveal as many variations for bolognese as there are Italian grandmothers. And my recipe below is yet another variation. It's based mainly on the recipe that appears in Molto Italiano, but I changed up a few things. Some call for white wine, some for red. Some use beef, others veal. Some have milk, some don't. The variations are endless. We agreed that this one was just right - mostly meat, just enough tomato and perfect with a little Parmigiano-Reggiano grated over the top.

bolognese (4)

This makes a good sized batch - I froze some for future use. Or make it for a crowd - this would serve 6 to 8 people with a side salad and some bread. We like it on pappardelle, but any pasta would work. Had I been a bit more adventurous, I would've made homemade. My version calls for red wine. I used a Zenato Valpolicello and then we had the same wine with the meal. It paired wonderfully.

bolognese (5)

Ragu Bolognese
adapted from Molto Italiano

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground veal
1 pound ground pork
4 ounces pancetta, put thru a meat grinder or ground in a food processor
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
3/4 cup red wine, preferably Italian
1 cup milk
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste

Pasta, cooked according to package directions
Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, to finish

bolognese (1) bolognese (2)

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, carrots and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Don't brown the vegetables.

Add the meat and increase the heat to high. Cook until the meat is browned.

Add the milk, wine, tomato paste, and thyme and stir to combine. Bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve over pasta and finish with fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

bolognese (3)

9 comments:

Jason Phelps said...

Very nice. I never new what bolognese was. I like this version very much. I think I'll have to use this when I get to the wine regions of Italy in my new blog project.

Jason

Steve said...

I've made this sauce before when we first filmed Mario's Lasagna. It's a total rock star recipe!

foodcreate said...

Delicioso ! I love bolognese yours look's so delicious ..thank you for sharing your recipe...

Jean said...

Yum, one of my favorites! I use three kinds of meat, too. I think it creates a nice balance of flavors. Your version looks great!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Gorgeous! A comforting and delicious year-round meal! Pappardelle noodles are the best!

Unknown said...

I think any pasta with bolognese is comfort food and good any time of the year! Your recipe (and dish) look fantastic. Can't wait to try them.

Magic of Spice said...

What a great dish you have here. Nice classic:) And the 1st photo, oh my:)

slurrpalicious said...

It has been arranged nicely!!!
This is the first time i am coming across bolognese

Koci said...

Yum!!! I've been wanting to try something like this for a while now. Thanks for the great recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails