About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Monday, August 9, 2010

The perfect little "e-Claire" plus Mediterranean lamb burgers

So I've been missing for almost a month now. But I've had a little something in the works that required my full attention. I was perfecting my little "e-Claire". This little cream puff was born on July 20th. I can't really call her little since she weighed a healthy 9 pounds 2 ounces - that's my kind of cream puff. But we named her Claire and she instantly earned the nickname eclair.

But now that we're getting into a routine with her, I'm getting back into the kitchen. I have a feeling it might take a while before I crack open The French Laundry, but there are plenty of great meals that can be made in less time. And more importantly, they can easily be prepped ahead of time so that we can sit down and enjoy a hot meal in between feeding, cuddling and just enjoying our little eclair.

lamb-burgers

These lamb burgers are packed with fresh mediterranean flavor - I first made them when trying to use up some ingredients I had in the fridge: kalamata olives, Greek yogurt and feta. They make a great weekend lunch or a simple supper. I like to use traditional Greek pocketless pitas, so I shape the burgers to fit in them. But your favorite rolls would work just fine too.

Keep the summer barbecues going with a change from a traditional cheeseburger. Have another favorite burger? Leave a comment and share your ideas with me and other readers!

Mediterranean Lamb Burgers

For the burgers:
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh oregano or mint, chopped
1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the dressing:
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2-inch piece of cucumber, grated
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
kosher or sea salt, to taste

4 pocketless pita or 4 rolls
a feww lettuce leaves or some baby arugula
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta

lamb-burgers (2)

Combine all the ingredients for the burgers and mix until combined. Don't overmix or the burgers will be tough. Form into 4 patties (round if you're using buns or ovals if you're using pita). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Combine dressing ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat grill on high. Spray the grill with a little cooking spray then grill the burgers to medium or medium-well, about 5 minutes per side.

To serve, heat the pitas in a pan on the stove then place a urger in each. Top with feta, tomato, dressing, lettuce or arugula.

Makes 4 burgers.

7 comments:

Kate said...

YUM! And, I just bought ground lamb at the farmer's market on Saturday. Perfect timing. Welcome to Claire :-)

Jean said...

Oh, wow! A huge congrats to you and your family. Clair is magnificent. Your lamb burgers look great, too, but they're overshadowed by your daughter. :-)

Jean said...

Oops, I meant Claire.

Unknown said...

Look at that cutie little eclair! And the lamb burgers look AMAZING. So many fantastic flavors!

Andra@FrenchPressMemos said...

Congrats on your beautiful creation- your daughter. In 5 months (which is my guess for when you'll start feeding her solids) your kitchen adventures can change so much. I made everything from our girl (now 2) from cereal (grinding toasted rice/barley/millet/etc to apple sauces, soups, and meat purees. Fun stuff!

Now to your food- this is very different than the Lamburger I make (a much more French version) but it looks outstanding. I love everything lamb and preparing it creatively makes me so happy! Thanks for sharing!

Liv Wan said...

Congrats to you and your family. Your little girl looks so so so cute and lamb burger looks very tasty. Thank you for sharing your good news and great recipe with us.

Unknown said...

I know I should say congratulations on little e-Claire, but it's hard when I'm drooling. Honestly, they may be the best looking thing I've seen in a long, long time. I love lamb and that sauce...oh my gosh. This is the first post I've ever seen from you and I'm already hooked!

Related Posts with Thumbnails