About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Triple chocolate toffee walnut cookies

DSC_0026

In my kitchen, I have two cabinets dedicated to baking - one side has mixing bowls and such and the other is jam-packed with nuts, chips, sprinkles, extracts, etc. Over time, I end up with small amounts of numerous different things: a half cup or so each of a bunch of different things. Thus, these cookies! I use a basic cookie recipe and add whatever I have in the cabinet. This time it happened to be toffee bits and three kinds of chocolate chips: milk, semisweet and white. I also threw in some chopped walnuts. The result: chunky cookies packed with good stuff and a much neater cabinet!

DSC_0003

Try your favorite combo or let your own cabinet decide what goes into these cookies. Rather than letting nuts and chocolate get stale, this is a perfect way to make something delicious out of what you've got on hand.

DSC_0041

Triple chocolate toffee walnut cookies
  • ½ c. white sugar
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1/4 c. shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. flour
  • ½ tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. chocolate chips (use any combination of white, dark, milk, semi sweet, etc.)
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits
  • ½ c. chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350°.

Cream together white sugar, brown sugar, butter and shortening, then beat in the egg. In another bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Combine flour mixture with butter mixture. Add vanilla and mix. Stir in chocolate chips, toffee and nuts (if using).

DSC_0010

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes at 350°.

Makes about 3 dozen.

DSC_0024

8 comments:

Jillyann said...

some of the best cookies are made by cleaning out the baking supplies. These look awesome!

Nicole@The Dirty Oven via twitter @ovenloving said...

Looks great. I love it when you can use up your left over baking staples. Yummy!

Unknown said...

That's a GREAT idea. I have a ton of those bags with just bits in them. Thanks for sharing that.

BakingWithoutaBox said...

My grandma called them cupboard cookies. Such good possibilities. These look incredible!

Debbie said...

Yum toffee cookies are so good, love the addition of more chocolate and nuts!

Winelady Cooks said...

I thought I was the only one who's cabinet had "bits and pieces"! Thanks for sharing this, I will have to try this and see if I can come up with something as delicious.

Joanne

kathy gori said...

Those cookies look so good to me right now!!

I Sicilian said...

Love the idea. I do that with ingredients in my refrigerator too. That's how recipes are born. Smart!

Related Posts with Thumbnails