About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Monday, April 2, 2012

Peruvian Beef Kabobs

peruvian-steak-kabobs (2)

Spring came early in NJ. For two weeks solid, it was 75 degrees out. For me, the weather presented a test of discipline. See, I just started a new job that allows me to work full time from home. As I sat in my home office with the window open, warm breeze blowing in, it was a true test to stay put and focus on training and work. But I did it!

But that was then... this morning it was 35 degrees when I got up...

The Spring weather inspired me to try some new recipes for the grill. My husband got out the deck furniture early and we enjoyed several nights outside, with our little one happily gobbling her dinner while she looked for "tweet-tweets". These kabobs are easy and pretty inexpensive for a beef dinner, since you use a cut of London Broil. I used a piece of meat that was about 1 3/4 pounds and we got two full meals from it. I served it with potato salad and crusty bread the first night and roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus the second...

peruvian-steak-kabobs (1)

Peruvian Beef Kabobs
adapted from Weber: Time to Grill

3 red bell peppers, 2 whole and 1 cut into 1 1/4-inch squares
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds top round london broil, cut into 1 1/4 inch chunks

Roast 2 of the red peppers. To do this, I put them on skewers and turn them over the flame of my gas stove. You could also use the broiler in your over or your grill. Once the skins are black all over, place them in a brown paper bag and roll down the top of the bag to allow the peppers to steam.

Once the peppers have cooled, peel off the black skin and remove the stems and seeds. Tear into pieces and put into the bowl of a food processor with the garlic, vinegar, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Process to a paste and then stream in the oil with the processor running.

Pour 1/2 the marinade over the meat and refrigerate for several hours. Reserve the rest of the marinade to use as a sauce.

Preheat grill to medium. Place beef and remaining red pepper on skewers, alternating the meat and peppers. Grill 6-8 minutes for medium rare, turning every couple of minutes.

Serve with reserved marinade.

Serves 4.

peruvian-steak-kabobs (3)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails